"Si tomara las alas de la aurora, y fuera a habitar en el extremo del mar,
Aun allí me llevaría tu mano, y me sostendría tu derecha." (Salmo 139:8-9)


Tuesday, September 18, 2007

First Impressions


View from one part of the Rambla in Montevideo

So I promised some first impressions of Montevideo. Having been here a week and a half, I'm past the point of first impressions, but the very first day here, there were two things I noticed most. First, the preponderance of mullets (indescribably unattractive 80's hairdoes, popular with a surprising number of teen guys AND girls here). They are either way ahead of the fashions in California (where we have been drifting 80's-ward for several years) or way behind the fashions everywhere else. The tight, tapered-to-the-ankle pants, vests, ill-fitting clothes, etc. are definitely a thing here as well. But for some reason, mainly near the coast! Seriously, the farther away you get from the Rambla (the miles-long walkway along the coastline of Montevideo), the fewer crazy 80's does you see...interesting...I guess the coolest teens hang out down there :D

The second thing I noticed that first day was the staring...in the US, as soon as someone notices that you are looking at them, you glance away and pretend you weren't, right? :) Well, there's definitely a cultural difference here. There doesn't seem to be any particular time limit on staring here, which can definitely feel a bit uncomfortable at first to a timid American...such as:
Cluster of teenage guys lounging on the corner sipping mate and watching you...You wonder, "Why are they all watching me for so long? I'm not that pretty! Maybe they want to snatch my purse...maybe they're planning to mug me...maybe...!" OR
Group of girls staring intently at you...You think "Do I look weird? Maybe they can tell I'm American. Maybe they hate Americans! Maybe I have some spinach in my teeth...or my hair is all messed up...or I'm wearing my clothes inside out...Why are they still looking at me?!!" At which point your helpful American friend who has lived here for a while says..."I think that the national sport here in Uruguay is sitting on the Rambla staring at people. Just stare back if you want to!" It's kind of fun, actually! :D Didn't you always wish you could just stare at people for as long as you wanted, without feeling embarassed if they noticed?? Well, come on down to Uruguay! :D (but watch out for the dog poop on the sidewalks :-O

Having been here longer, I'm coming to know the place and the people better than all that, but that will have to be the subject for another post...tengo clases en la mañana!

¡Buenas noches!




Some lovely ladies on la playa...

No comments: